Franklin County Assistant Gleaning Coordinator
Office Location: Chambersburg, PA
Supervisor: Gleaning Coordinator
This person will work with the Gleaning Coordinator to connect farmers who have extra, fresh produce to needs assistance organizations and the populations they serve; working to reduce food loss on farms and improve food security in Franklin County, PA.
This entails effectively managing a large volunteer corps to recover produce from dozens of farms and distribute to nearly 30 community partners
This position provides ample room for personal and professional development, working with autonomy to encourage an equitable, and sustainable local food system.
This is a part-time, hourly, year-round position with some seasonal variation. The hours and days required by this job vary with the season, often including evening and weekend hours.
Compensation: $12 per hour plus paid time off and holidays
- Communicate effectively with local farms, orchards, and volunteers via phone, email and social media to schedule and promote harvesting opportunities
- Maintain and improve a food storage and distribution network involving physical infrastructure, donation and delivery traceability, and relationships with food assistance and human services providers throughout Franklin County
Engage gleaned produce recipients to improve education regarding preparation and preservation of food
Outreach into the community through presentations and speeches to increase awareness of SCCAP and The Gleaning Project, as well as share about the issues relating to hunger, poverty, and nutrition
Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to work with people of all walks of life
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Can confidently supervise groups and/or manage volunteers
- Detail oriented and possess strong time management skills
- Must be able to work atypical business hours including nights and weekends
- Must hold a current, valid driver's license
- Must be able (or willing to learn) to drive a 15 passenger van with trailer and a small box truck.
- Able to routinely lift objects over 50 lbs
- Harvesting experience is preferred
- Four-year degree or experience in a related field
- Excellent computer skills including Social Media (Facebook, Instagram), Mailchimp, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
- Dedication to relieving food insecurity and improving the environmental and economic efficiency of our local food system
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed, and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. Application is open until filled.
EOE: This organization reserves the right to revise and change job descriptions as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment