Calling All Backyard Gardeners!
Do you have a vegetable garden? Have you exhausted all your neighbors with your extra tomatoes (or kale, or onions)? We have a solution! The Gleaning Project accepts donations from local gardeners in both Adams and Franklin County. No donation is too small and you can rest easy knowing the fruits of your labor will be eaten and enjoyed by many in the community.
Backyard gardeners have been integral to our program for many years. They allow us to distribute a wider variety of produce while complimenting what we glean from local farms. In 2017, we had over 9,000 lbs of produce donated by gardeners in both counties combined! That is 9,000 lbs of produce that was shared with our community either through our produce stand or one of our amazing partners. If are you interested in becoming a "garden giver" check out the steps below for Adams and Franklin County!
Adams County Donation Process:
- Bring your produce to the SCCAP Produce Stand, located behind the SCCAP building at 153 N. Stratton St in Gettysburg, during open hours. Monday through Friday 9am-4pm. Weekend and after hours donations can be arranged by calling 717-884-8373.
- Weigh your donation and fill out the FOOD IN sheet located inside the garage area. This is an important step even if you don't need a receipt as we track donations for grant reports.
- Leave your contact info and address if you would like an "In Kind" donation receipt for you taxes
- That's it! The Gleaning Project will make sure to get your vegetables to our neighbors in need.
Franklin County Donation Process:
- Bring your produce to our walk in cooler, located behind the SCCAP building at 533 S. Main St in Chambersburg, any time of day. We check our cooler daily so there is no need to pre-schedule a drop off time.
- Weigh your donation and fill out the FOOD IN sheet located inside the cooler. This is an important step even if you don't need a receipt as we track donations for grant reports.
- Leave your name and address if you would like an "In Kind" donation receipt for you taxes
- That's it! The Gleaning Project will make sure to distribute your produce to our produce stand or one of our community partners
- If you live in Franklin County and need someone to harvest your garden while you're on vacation, let us know! We may be able to schedule a time to glean for you.
A huge THANK YOU to all those who have donated in past years and to those who will donate in the coming months. You have helped alleviate food insecurity in South Central PA and given many families access to tasty and nutritious produce.
If you are interested in connecting with other backyard gardeners in the area, check out our Facebook group “Everybody Grows: SCCAP’s Community Garden Club”. This Facebook page is designed as a space for backyard gardeners to share their trials and triumphs throughout the growing season.